Ask your inner-child: What would a toy metaverse be without a superhero and his nemesis?
Fortunately, we won’t have to find out. Masters of the Universe will be the first brand to launch on the Cryptoys NFT platform as part of its multi-year, global partnership with Mattel. Cryptoys, created by Miami-based OnChain Studios, is an NFT platform that combines toys, gaming and entertainment to create an expansive playable universe.
The upcoming launch is timed to superhero He-Man’s 40th birthday celebration this fall.
“The Masters of the Universe franchise is full of iconic, nostalgic characters that fans have been watching, playing with, and collecting for decades,” says Will Weinraub, CEO and Co-Founder at OnChain Studios. “Many of us grew up with Masters of the Universe, which is why we felt it was the perfect property to launch first on the Cryptoys platform as we partner with Mattel to bring new life to these beloved characters.”
It’s been a busy year for OnChain Studios. Two weeks ago, the startup announced it closed a $23 million Series A funding round led by Andreessen Horowitz and including many other global and local investors. Two weeks before that, OnChain announced that it entered its global, multi-year partnership with Mattel to bring its iconic toys into the Cryptoyverse. OnChain has also begun revealing the back stories of its own Cryptoys brand in anticipation of their drop.
Masters of the Universe fans will have a first look at the Cryptoys and Mattel partnership at San Diego Comic-Con, where collectible lapel pins featuring iconic characters, including arch enemies He-Man and Skeletor along with Battle Cat, will be given away at the Mattel booth. Also at the Mattel booth on Friday, July 22 from 1 to 2 pm, Cryptoys artists will be on hand to sign an exclusive poster. Fans who scan QR codes at Mattel’s booth can register to receive exclusive SDCC 2022 NFT gifts from Cryptoys.
The Masters of the Universe series will launch on Cryptoys a few weeks after Comic-Con and will be the first Mattel drop, but more are on the way. “Stay tuned, because this is just the beginning,” Weinraub said.
We’re still rooting for Barbie to join the fun, too.
READ MORE ON REFRESH MIAMI:
- OnChain Studios raises $23M Series A led by a16z crypto to build ‘the future of play’: Cryptoys
- OnChain Studios and Mattel ink global, multiyear partnership to bring beloved toys to the metaverse
- OnChain Studios raises $7.5M seed round led by a16z to develop Cryptoys NFT platform
Follow Nancy Dahlberg on Twitter @ndahlberg and email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5+ things to know in #MiamiTech: Get ready to clone yourself for TechBasel/Art Week & more - November 23, 2022
- Pipe co-founders step down and search for ‘veteran’ CEO is launched - November 23, 2022
- Miami-based VentureKite raises $30M credit facility to buy and scale digital brands - November 22, 2022