thoughtbot partners with organizations of all sizes to design, develop, and grow their software-based products and services. We’re looking for a Director of Design Strategy to join thoughtbot Ignite–a small team of 6-8 Product Designers and Developers who focus on working with early-stage businesses and products to define, validate, and bring them to life.
This position is fully remote and is open to applicants located anywhere in the United States.
thoughtbot cannot sponsor work visas at this time.
Salary and benefits vary by location. The US salary range for this role is $150,000- $170,000.
This Director of Design Strategy role at thoughtbot Ignite brings together three critical elements: early-stage product strategy, creative problem-solving, and Ignite team growth. As Director of Design Strategy, you will contribute to the following areas:
- Consult with clients on early-stage business, product, and go-to-market strategy.
- Design-Thinking and Process Facilitation
- Lead product discovery and validation projects by yourself or with a small team of Designers and Developers.
- Conduct research, usability testing, and review market and customer data to help define and clarify the product vision.
- Design and build prototypes used to validate assumptions during early-stage research and discovery, and to use as a basis for product development and roadmapping
- Support Proof of Concept or Early MVP projects with a small team of Designers and Developers.
- Address and mitigate team and project risks through project management and consulting.
- Conduct user research, customer discovery, and market research.
- Contribute as needed to inbound opportunities and customer success.
- Identify new opportunities within a network or existing projects/clients.
- Scoping and Estimation
- Discuss scope with clients and prospects (alongside Managing Director).
- Estimate project timelines and help develop project plans (alongside Managing Director).
Team Growth and Sustainability
- Work to grow the Ignite team’s reputation attracting great projects and great teammates.
- Collaborate with the Managing Director to manage the business and success of the Team.
- Support the growth of team members based on their professional goals and Ignite team goals.
Because we’re looking for teammates who overlap with our clients’ teams working hours, this is a remote position available to anyone throughout the United States(UTC-3 through UTC-10).
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
For US-based team members thoughtbot pays at least 90% of the medical insurance premiums for individuals, 80% for their families for all medical plans, and 100% of the premium for employees and their families for our core dental plan and vision coverage. We cover disability insurance, basic life insurance with the opportunity to buy up. We also offer a comprehensive 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting. Team members accrue 20 paid vacation days and receive 11 paid holidays per year in addition to 10 paid sick days. New parents receive at least 6 weeks paid parental leave, as well as the ability to take up to 6 months off.
Our team works in a relaxed and educational environment to develop excellent products for our clients. We work a sustainable pace of 40 hours/week. We also like to learn and dedicate at least 4 weeks per year to investment time. Everything we do is predicated on having a great team and a culture of growing. We use the latest technologies and are always down to try new methods on both internal and client projects.
thoughtbot does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
thoughtbot does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes not originating directly from a candidate and sent to thoughtbot or any thoughtbot’s employees, including unsolicited resumes sent to a thoughtbot mailing address or email address, are rejected. thoughtbot will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. thoughtbot considers any candidate for whom the recruiter has submitted an unsolicited resume referred by the company free of any fees.