Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Engineering at Brex
Engineering is responsible for building innovative products and infrastructure for both internal and external users. Our goal is to accelerate the business through technology, and collaborate across multiple teams to accomplish that. Teams are autonomous, value inclusivity, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve how things work. Together, we strive to build robust and scalable systems that enable Brex to continue growing rapidly with our customers and help them reach their full potential.
What you’ll do
As a Staff Software Engineer at Brex you will act as a technical leader, setting the standard of excellence within the engineering organization. You will lead engineering teams to help solve technically complex and ambiguous problems by building beautiful systems and products. As a Staff Engineer, we will look to you to improve processes org-wide, contribute to our short and long-term technical roadmap, and mentor other engineers.
- Provide technical direction for one or more teams alongside an Engineering Manager
- Design and implement systems alongside other engineers to meet the needs of customers and the business
- Contribute to the codebase as a hands-on engineer (we don’t hire architects!)
- Own relationships and work collaboratively across multiple teams both in and outside of engineering
- Lead and contribute to efforts to up-level our engineering culture
- Mentor and grow other engineers
- 8-10+ years of experience with a recent history of setting direction for a team as a senior technical leader
- Experience building and designing scalable backend systems with significant business impact
- Experience working cross-functionally with product, design, data science, and other disciplines
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide in-depth evaluation of multiple technical directions and determine tradeoffs of each
- Strong propensity to make data-informed decisions on technical architecture and project prioritization
- Experience working in fintech
- Experience working in Kotlin, Elixir, and AWS environments
- Experience having founded a venture company, or experience as a founding member of an early-stage start up. We value entrepreneurial spirit & scrappiness!
If you feel like you don’t meet all of the requirements for this role, we encourage you to apply anyways. We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome gets in the way of meeting incredible candidates, and don’t want it to get in the way of meeting you.