OpenStore is Keith Rabois’ Miami-based Series B startup valued at reportedly more than $750M just seven months after founding. OpenStore is reimagining the future of e-commerce. Today, we’re building the technology and team to identify, value, acquire and scale long-tail e-commerce brands. We envision a future where emerging e-commerce brands have access to instant liquidity for their businesses and where consumers have ready access to the best, small-brand products.
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of experienced founders, operators, and software engineers who saw a chance to change the e-commerce landscape. We have grown our team 5x in size within the first year. We’re eager to continue expanding our team with humble achievers committed to excellence. OpenStore is founded by Keith Rabois, Jack Abraham, Michael Rubenstein, Matt Lanter and Jeremy Wood who bring a successful track record and expertise.
We are seeking a Tax professional as our first hire on the Tax team. We are seeking a highly motivated professional with experience in indirect tax including multi-state income and sales and use taxes. This role will include assessing and researching key issues arising in sales and use tax as well as income tax. This position will report to the Controller and will have frequent interaction with multiple departments across the company.
What you’ll do:
- Monthly sales tax reconciliations and filing of sales/use tax returns as well as overseeing the ASC 450 process and ongoing analysis
- Partner with the pricing and diligence teams to understand sales tax liability and exposure for active deals and acquisitions
- Own Avalara sales tax system maintenance, upgrades and change management considerations for sales tax collections and filings
- Design processes to support international expansion and sales, including VAT, compliance and filings
- Provide support for our external tax advisors in the preparation and review the company’s federal, state and local income tax returns.
- Partner with external tax advisors in the preparation of the income tax provisions and financial reporting processes, including, calculating the effective tax rate, current and deferred tax provisions, and related financial statement disclosures
- Own the process for property taxes and franchise tax payments
- Manage tax audits and tax assessment notices, if and when they arise
- Prepare sales tax accruals and other analyses on a monthly and quarterly basis
- Assist with ad-hoc projects such as nexus reviews, transfer pricing and R&D tax credit studies
Who you are:
- Minimum 4 years of progressive experience and increasing level of responsibility with direct and indirect tax in a public accounting firm and/or a private company
- Experience with tax provisions prepared in accordance with ASC 740 and fundamental working knowledge of current GAAP
- Demonstrated technical strength and knowledge related to indirect tax and accounting
- Working knowledge of Avalara or similar transaction tax software
- Familiarity with Netsuite or a large ERP system
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with other departments
- Ability to prioritize when working on multiple complex projects
- CPA and/or MST highly preferred
At OpenStore we believe that in order to recruit great people, we should create a great workplace. With that in mind we have made sure to provide a fun, exciting environment that encourages creativity and allows for growth.
OpenStore is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer where we welcome and celebrate differences. We are committed to providing a workspace that is safe and inclusive, where everyone feels supported, connected, and inspired to do their best work.
Employment is conditioned upon proof of full vaccination from the COVID-19 virus, including submission of documented proof thereof, as of the start date. OpenStore will comply with the applicable law regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals who are not vaccinated because of disability and/or sincerely held religious belief.